Castletownbere through to County PIF C’ship Semi Final

Castletownbere 2.11 Ballingeary 0.11 #Believe #ComeOnTheTown

Castletownbere played Beal Atha ‘n Ghaorthaigh in the Premier Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Final in Kealkill on Sunday last in excellent conditions. The large gathering of spectators were treated to a cracker of a match that began with Gary Murphy winning a free which was ably converted to a point by Dean Murphy and ‘Town were on the board. Beal Atha answered with a point but due to the great pressure exerted by the ‘Town backs, had three wides. But they persisted, scoring a point from a free. Castletownbere hit back with a Shane Mc Carthy lay off to Liam Hanley who kicked it over the bar. Castletown’s backs were rock steady throughout with Donagh Wiseman applying serious pressure and a great turnover by Lorcan led to a free which Andrew floated over with ease. Dean Murphy put another over and with Trevor Collins, Donagh Wiseman and Ciarán Murphy  tireless in defence, moved it up and a classy combo ended in another point for Dean. Declan Dunne entered the fray and Dave Fenton was next to score a point from a free and Beal Atha sent another over from a free. Next Liam Hanley laid it off to Jason and it looked like a goal was on but the Beal Atha backs were on the ball. They were awarded a free  which they put over but Gary Murphy saw his chance, stormed through scoring a point and the first half finished on the score of 0/6 to 0/4.  The second opened with Beal Atha scoring a point from a free but Declan Dunne answered it with a point. Andrew ably scored a point from a free next but Beal Atha stepped it up with a point followed by another from a free. Ger Healy made a great catch, laid it off to Donagh Wiseman and the ball soared over the bar, followed by another by Declan Dunne. Beal Atha hit back with two points then Liam Hanley kicked the ball in and Donagh Bawn O’Sullivan punched it and the ball hit the back of the net. Gary Murphy was dragged down, a penalty was awarded and again, Andrew was on form scoring ‘Town’s second goal. Richard Murphy replaced Gary Murphy and Beal Atha sent another over from a free and a clever pass from Richard Murphy to Jason Walsh who ably kicked it over. Beal Atha were then awarded a penalty which was sent over the bar, ,a free for Beal Atha followed, they went for a goal but it was stopped by James Power. Another free was awarded to Beal Atha and Dave Fenton blocked it on the line. Michael Collins, referee, blew the final whistle and the match ended on the score of 2/11 to 0/11. Team –  James Power, David Torres-Garcia, Donagh Wiseman(0/1), Lorcan Harrington, Trevor Collins, Ciarán Murphy, Jason Walsh(0/1), Andrew O’Sullivan(1/2),  Dave Fenton, Liam Hanley(0/1), Shane Mc.Carthy, Donagh Bán O’Sullivan(1/0), Gary Murphy(0/1), Dean Murphy(0/3), Ger Healy. Subs- Declan Dunne(0/2)/Dean Murphy, Richard Murphy/Gary Murphy, David Murphy/Donagh Bawn O’Sullivan, James Harrington/Declan Dunne, John Paul Sheehan, John Joseph O’Leary,Aed O’Shea, Dean Hegarty,  Hal Lewis,  Jordan Murphy, Seán Walsh, Conall Kane, Conor Power.

Town now await the winners of the drawn game between St. Micael’s & Kiskeam

Also please note:

Minor C Football Quarter Final 

Castletownbere V Kilmacabea

Date: Tuesday1st September               Time: 6.30pm              Venue: Bantry

Come along and support our stars of the Future