Match Report on Donie (Smith) Harrington & U16 Beara County C’ship

Beara Coiste na nOg News-


Beara Under 16’s played Na Piarsaigh in the Premier 1 Football Championship County Quarter Final in Dunmanway in  perfect conditions on the fifth of September. It was an entertaining encounter with both teams up for for the challenge. Beara dominated the first quarter with the Beara backs piling the pressure on from the whistle and their first score came from a lovely pass from Jason Harrington to Cathal O’Sullivan who tapped it over followed swiftly by his second point. Daragh Mc.Elhinney was next to put two points over with Jason Harrington and Ryan Sullivan scoring a  point apiece in quick succession. Na Piarsaigh were then awarded a free which they converted to their first point. Beara answered with a Neil O’Sullivan lay off to Daragh who put his third point over. Next was a pass from Cormac Whelan to Jamie O’Neill who floated it over with ease, then Jason Harrington laid the ball off to Cormac who kicked it over the bar.Shane Elphick, Conor O’Sullivan, Daniel Harrington, and Emmet Lyons were dogged in defence with Christopher O’Donoghue rock solid in goal but Na Piarsaigh’s determination paid off and the ball hit the back of the Beara net. Beara’s answer was a classy combo from the forwards and Cathal O’Sullivan sailed his third point over. A great block by Conor O’Sullivan followed and persistent pressure from Rory O’Driscoll and Eamon O’Shea evident clearly throughout the match ensured that the ball was back in Beara’s possession again and Daragh Mc.Elhinney added another point to Beara’s tally. The first half finished on a score of 0/11 to 1/2 in Beara’s favour. The second half opened with Jamie O’Neill laying the ball off to Neil O’Sullivan who put it over but then the Na Piarsaigh lads hit back with four unanswered points. Beara however, were not to be outdone and Daragh answered again with another point. A fine catch by Cormac Whelan followed, quickly laid off to Jason Harrington then to Jamie O’Neill who was pulled down and awarded a free followed and again, Daragh ably converted it to a point. A great point from Na Piarsaigh was next followed by another from a free. The Beara substitutions then made their entrance with Owen Power replacing Ryan Sullivan, Michael O’Sullivan on for Jamie O’Neill and Daragh continued his scoring spree with a point and another from a free. Eoghan Power replaced Cathal O’Sullivan and Ciarán O’Sullivan came on for Eamon O’Shea. Suddenly Luke O’Sullivan made a pass to Neil who was on target and hit the back of the net. The final whistle blew and the match ended on the final score of 1/19 to 1/09. Team – Christopher O’Donoghue(Castletownbere), Shane Elphick(Urhan), Conor O’Sullivan(Urhan), Daniel Harrington(Adrigole), Emmet Lyons(Urhan), Rory O’Driscoll(Urhan), Eamon O’Shea(Urhan), Neill O’Sullivan(Adrigole,1/1), Luke O’Sullivan(Urhan), Daragh Mc.Elhinney(Glengarriff,0/9), Jason Harrington(Adrigole,0/1), Cathal O’Sullivan(Urhan,0/5), Cormac Whelan(Castletownbere,0/1), Jamie O’Neill(Urhan,0/1), Ryan Sullivan(Adrigole,0/1).Subs- Owen Power(Castletownbere), Michael O’Sullivan(Castletownbere), Eoghan Power(Castletownbere), Ciarán O’Sullivan(Urhan), Paddy Daly(Urhan), Daniel Elphick(Urhan), Gerard Dunne(Urhan), Micheál Murphy(Castletownbere), Finbarr O’Donovan(Castletownbere), Dan Crowley(Adrigole), Cian O’Shea(Adrigole), Cian Crowley(Urhan), Micheál Shea(Urhan), Aidan O’Shea(Urhan). Well done to the lads and to their mentors and the best of luck in the Semi Final v Eire Og on Sat next, 19th, in Drimoleague at3pm.


Castletownbere G.A.A. News –


Castletownbere Intermediates met Urhan in the Donie Harrington(Smith) Cup Final in Droum on Tuesday last. Tadhg O’Sullivan, referee, threw the ball in and the game was on. ‘Town were the quicker off the mark scoring four unanswered points, three from Dean Murphy and one from Declan Dunne then Urhan retailiated with a point. A great catch by Shane Mc.Carthy  followed, laid off to Andrew O’sullivan and he found his mark scoring a super goal. Two frees were then awarded to ‘Town which Dave Fenton sent flying over the bar. Urhan were also awarded a free and sent it over, the ‘Town lads stepped it up, then Trevor Collins was awarded a free and Ger Healy’s determination paid off as he sent the ball over. The ‘Town backs were tenacious throughout and the first half ended on a score of 1/07 to 0/02 to Castletown. The second half saw Aed O’Shea replace James Harrington and John Paul Sheehan on for Dean Hegarty and then a  turnover by Aed, laid off to Declan Dunne who scored a lovely point. Urhan responded with a fine point then John Paul Sheehan came out, made a gutsy block and denied Urhan what looked like a certain goal. A pass from Shane Mc. Carthy to Ger Healy onto David Murphy who sent it over followed but suddenly Urhan were on the ball and two goals hit the back of the ‘Town net. Andrew O’Sullivan sent ‘Town’s anothr point over, Urhan hit back with a point but Andrew sent another over.  Donagh Bawn O’sullivan entered for David Torres-Garcia and ‘Town’s forwards work rate continued with David Murphy and Andrew scoring a stunning point apiece. Urhan answered with another great point but Declan Dunne making a great catch was on hand and he sent another over. Urhan scored their seventh point and the final whistle blew, the match ended on the score of 1/15 to 2/7. Ollie O’Sullivan, Beara Bord thanked the referee and gave the Cup to Seamus Harrington who then presented the Cup to the Castletownbere Captain, Andrew O;Sullivan. Andrew thanked Urhan, the ‘Town mentors and the supporters. Team – Dean Hegarty,  J.J. O’Leary, David Torres-Garcia, Lorcan Harrington, Shane Mc.Carthy, Trevor Collins, James Harrington, Andrew O’Sullivan(Captain,1/2), Declan Dunne(0/3), Liam Hanley, Dave Fento(0/2), David Murphy(0/3), Ger Healy(0/1), Dean Murphy(0/4), Richard Murphy. Subs – Aed O’Shea/James Harrington, John Paul Sheehan/Dean Hegarty, Donagh Bawn O’Sullivan/ David Torres-Garcia,  Seán Walsh, Conall Kane, Jordan Murphy Well done to the lads and to their mentors.